The private rented sector is a minefield of rules & regulations these days. You can no longer just take the rent and hand the keys over.
I am often hearing of private landlords or fellow agents who are falling foul of the rules by not doing what is necessary BEFORE the tenant moves into the property.
So, lets go back to basics. You have an empty property & want to find a tenant, easy right?
Have you thought about
- Does the property have an EPC? what is the rating? All properties must now carry a MINIMUM of an E rating.
- Have all the gas appliances been checked & declared safe by a gas safe engineer?
- Have you downloaded the latest version of the “How To Rent” checklist for renting in England document?
- Are the electrics safe? What is the condition of the wiring/consumer unit/socket/switches
- Does the property have a working smoke alarm on each level of the property.
- Does the tenant have the legal right to live in the UK?
- Have you protected the deposit with an approved deposit scheme & given the tenant the correct paperwork.
The above MUST be done before a tenant moves into the property.
With more applicants than ever due a to a shortage in houses it is important that you do not leave yourself open to a breach in these regulations.
At best you may have issues serving notice on a tenant ,at worse you may be liable for a hefty fine or prison sentence.
Do not delay, take action NOW to ensure you are compliant with all of the above.