Nostalgia: Trace Moston’s past in pictures
From a boggy settlement to the site of a mining disaster, to a residential district.
The district of Moston, around three miles from the centre of Manchester, is now mainly residential, although it began life as mainly countryside, dotted with farming settlements.
Its name is thought to come from the old English words ‘moss’, meaning a mossy, marshy bog area, and ‘ton’, meaning a town or settlement.
Moston can first be traced in records in 1301, in a charter from the Lord of the Manor of Manchester, Thomas Grelle.
Moston, Simpson Memorial Institute, on February 18 1892
By the 16th century, the linen treatment industry had been introduced into the area.
This trade, involving washing and bleaching fabric, boosted the economy and Moston became a key part of the Cottonopolis during the 18th and 19th centuries.
Moston Mill Print Works sat on the junction of Williams Road and St Mary’s Road and Spring Valley Dye Works was situated to the west of what is now the Lancaster Club.
Sand and clay was extracted from local pits and the area around Belgrave Road became known as White Hills, due to the brickworks’ waste that formed steep, unstable hills.
Moston Pit, owned by the Platt brothers, produced a type of coal called Moston Best, which would burn for hours and leave only a fine residual dust, but came at a premium price.
Moston Colliery hit the headlines when five miners died and many more were injured in a crash within the pit.
On Monday March 11, 1940, 40 miners were travelling to work down slant 17, when a grip – a type of train used to transport miners underground – started to gather speed.
Some miners managed to jump to safety, but others stayed on board as the train gathered speed and derailed.
Carriages piled into one another and some miners were crushed. It was later found that the brake band on the haulage engine had failed.
In 1947, the National Coal Board took over the mine and closed the pit three years later, despite protests from miners.
They staged a sit-in at the colliery, but management withheld food and water rations, forcing miners to give up.
There were a number of grand halls in Moston. In 1320 these were Little Nuthurst Hall, Great Nuthurst Hall and Hough Hall.
Hough Hall was the long-standing residence of the Halgh (or Hough) family. It was bought by James Lightbowne in 1689, then Samuel Taylor around 1774.
In 1880 the late Robert Ward purchased this fine timber and plaster house on the south side of Moston Lane, and it was then owned by his widow.
It was designated a Grade II-listed building on October 3, 1974.
Moston was included in the city of Manchester in 1890 and ceased to be a township in 1896, when it became part of the new township of North Manchester.
It is now home to residential houses and flats, and has two parks – Broadhurst Park and Nuthurst Park.
Broadhurst opened in 1920 and hosts community activities, funfairs and sports, while Nuthurst is a community park with a playground, five-a-side pitch and tennis and basketball courts.
Moston railway station is an unmanned station off Hollinwood avenue in New Moston, which is also served by Newton Heath and Moston Metrolink stations.
The Manchester College has a campus in Moston, offering education for school leavers and adults.
There are a numbers of church in Moston, the oldest being Streetfold Methodist Church, which was founded in 1907.
There is also St Joseph’s Cemetery – commonly known as Moston cemetery, which opened in 1875 and covers a large site.